Whoever said cookies aren’t a breakfast food, lied. Cookies are great for breakfast especially when they are packed with protein and deliciousness like chocolate chips and oats! I had some old brown bananas and I was really bored of making banana bread. I mean seriously- what else can you do with over ripe bananas other than freeze them for smoothies or make banana bread?
Now you can make gluten free, vegan and healthy cookies that are easy to pack for breakfast on the go, crumbled over yogurt or for an afternoon snack. There are lots of other ingredients you could substitute into the cookies too. Try some dried cranberries instead of chocolate chips (or WITH chocolate chips!) add pecans or walnuts for a little crunch. The options are endless! Plus what better way to get your picky eaters to get their whole grains and fruits in the morning?? A kid turning down a cookie for breakfast? That has never happened! Happy baking!
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 cups rolled oats (quick or regular)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Other optional ingredients- pecans, walnuts, dried cranberries, coconut, raisins
- Pre-heat the oven to 350
- Place the oats in a blender or food processor and blend until oats are consistency of flour- if there is still larger chunks of oats, that is OK.
- In a large bowl combine mashed bananas, oats, peanut butter, chocolate chips and whatever else you want. Mix to combine.
- Place dough (it will be very sticky!) on a greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Store in a plastic zip lock bag or wrap and freeze them individual. Makes 12-16 large cookies.