Happy June! Now that Memorial Day has past we have officially entered BBQ season and I am legally allowed to wear white pants again! It also means… wedding season! If you’re looking for something on the lighter side to enjoy at your next barbecue or dinner – this recipe is for you! The salty/sweet combination with refreshing mint and lime makes for the perfect side dish and the presentation on the skewers makes it look like you spent a lot of time preparing it… so don’t be surprised when people start calling you “Martha.” You could toss these ingredients together in a bowl if you don’t have wooden skewers but its nice being able to pick one up without needing a plate! These are so light and refreshing on a hot day- they’ll be the first to go at your next beach picnic or party!
What you’ll need:
- Half a watermelon, rind removed and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 block of Feta cheese cut into 1/4″ slices/cubes large enough that they won’t crumble when skewering them
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh mint, cut into chiffonade (thin strips- I use a pair of scissors to do this or follow this “how to” guide)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
What to do:
- Place one cube of watermelon and one slice of feta on the skewer. You can get about 4 of each on depending on the size of your skewers.
- Drizzle the lime juice over all the skewers.
- Season lightly with salt and fresh cracked pepper (about 1- 1 1/2 teaspoons of each)
- Drizzle Olive Oil (2-3 tablespoons) over the skewers and finish by sprinkling fresh mint pieces over the top.
- Serve and Enjoy! If you’d prefer to serve this salad in a bowl you can used crumbed feta instead of block feta. Toss watermelon, lime, olive oil, mint, salt and pepper together in a bowl, sprinkle with feta cheese and serve. If making ahead of time leave feta off until you are ready to serve or it will get soggy sitting in the bowl.