If you follow this blog regularly you know that I am a sucker for pasta. I would like to attribute it to my Italian heritage – but mostly likely it is because carbs are delicious… especially when you cover them in yummy sauce. I thought I had found the ultimate lasagna recipe my “Red and White Lasagna” that was until I tried this recipe. This is a family recipe from my friend Ingrid – it was her great grandmothers. I could tell by the recipe Ingrid forwarded me that her grandmother did not need to follow printed directions to make this dish. The email basically read “a little bit of this, a little bit of that, layer it and bake” the measurements were not exactly precise! So I used my best judgement and I am happy to say… its really hard to F*CK up lasagna – so it came out great! This recipe definitely wins lasagna of the year… Thanks Ingrid and family for sharing!
Great Grandma Knowles Bomb.com Lasagna (Serves 8-12)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground sausage (spicy or mild)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 12oz can tomato paste
- 24oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 32oz small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- No boil lasagna noodles
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large skillet, add beef and sausage, season with oregano and garlic powder and cook until brown. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine cottage cheese, shredded Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Coat a 9×13″ lasagna pan with olive oil. Start with a layer of noodles, half the cottage cheese mix, half the sliced mozzarella slices and half the hamburger mixture. Repeat with the remaining noodles, cottage cheese mixture, mozzarella and meat.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hour. ****Now the family secret is to bake the lasagna for 1 hour and then let it cool (either over night or for a few hours) When you are ready to serve re-heat the lasagna in a 325 degree oven until it is heated all the way through****