You know those days you crave your favorite childhood meal? Maybe its spaghetti and meatballs or buttery macaroni and cheese- mine is most definitely Chicken Suzanne. This was a dish my mother used to make all the time growing up because its simple and tasty. It only takes half an hour to whip up, it freezes easily and its a comforting dish for cozy cold nights.
The combination of mushrooms, artichokes and cream with tender chicken and crispy almonds is the perfect culmination of delicious ingredients. It’s also a great way to use up some leftover Thanksgiving turkey! Substitute 2 1/2- 3 cups of shredded turkey for the chicken and you’ve got a creative dish for all those leftovers! I found this great card shopping over the weekend- I do wish that all life’s problems could be solved with a stick of butter! Sometimes all it takes to turn around a bad day is some classic comfort food to warm your soul and make you feel at home. Serve with a fresh baguette and your favorite glass of red wine! Enjoy!
Chicken Suzanne (Serves 8)
- 1 box long grain and wild rice
- 1 3 to 4 pound rotisserie chicken or 3 to 4 broiled chicken breasts
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 large can artichoke hearts
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream (you can sub half & half if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons sherry or white wine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- slivered almonds (about 1/2 cup, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Make rice to package directions. Butter a 4 quart casserole or baking dish. Set aside.
- Remove the meat from the bones of the rotisserie chicken and cut into pieces.
- Cut the artichoke hearts into bite size pieces. Combine chicken, rice and artichoke hearts in large bowl.
- Saute the diced onion in the butter. When the onion becomes transparent, add the flour. Cook for 1 minute over low heat.
- Add the chicken broth, milk and cream and stir until thickened. The mixture should be the consistency of heavy cream.
- Stir in the seasonings. combine the completed sauce with the chicken, rice and artichoke mixture. Add the sliced mushrooms.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish and top with slivered almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Can be frozen or made the day before serving.