Happy weekend y’all! I hope you had a great week! Last weekend Park City mountain resort closed, it was a beautiful weekend, 60 degrees and sunny! Just when I thought spring had arrived… I woke up Tuesday morning to this…More snow! I couldn’t believe it! But that’s how it goes in the mountains! Sadly, I’m sure it won’t be the last time this spring we see snow. Regardless of what the weather does, I am READY for spring. This delicious wild rice salad is one of my favorite spring/summer salads. It’s super easy to make and its best when it’s served cold, so making it the day before is a snap and saves you time! Its great for picnics, BBQs or anytime.
Wild Rice Salad with Apricot & Cranberry with Orange Dressing (click for printer friendly version)
Ingredients: (Serves 6-8)
- 2 1/2 Cups Wild Rice
- 5 Cups of water
- 1 Cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Cup dried cranberries
- 1 Cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 Cup currents
- 1 Cup scallions, sliced
- 1/2 Cup parsley, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 3/4 Cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, bring water and broth to a boil, add the rice and bring it to a boil again. Reduce heat and simmer until the rice is tender but still firm- about 40-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Drain the rice, transfer to a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Mix the remaining ingredients with the rice, drizzle with orange dressing and gently toss to combine.
- Serve over spinach or on its own as a side dish.