Happy weekend y’all! I hope you had a great week! Last weekend Park City mountain resort closed, it was a beautiful weekend, 60 degrees and sunny! Just when I thought spring had arrived… I woke up Tuesday morning to this…More snow! I couldn’t believe it! But that’s how it goes in the mountains! Sadly, I’m sure it won’t be the last time this spring we see snow. Regardless of what the weather does, I am READY for spring. This delicious wild rice salad is one of my favorite spring/summer salads. It’s super easy to make and its best when it’s served cold, so making it the day before is a snap and saves you time! Its great for picnics, BBQs or anytime.
The combination of the sweet cranberries, apricots and currents with the wild rice and orange dressing is perfection! It will become one of your favorite summer staples.
Wild Rice Salad with Apricot & Cranberry with Orange Dressing (click for printer friendly version)
Ingredients: (Serves 6-8)
- 2 1/2 Cups Wild Rice
- 5 Cups of water
- 1 Cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Cup dried cranberries
- 1 Cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 Cup currents
- 1 Cup scallions, sliced
- 1/2 Cup parsley, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 3/4 Cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, bring water and broth to a boil, add the rice and bring it to a boil again. Reduce heat and simmer until the rice is tender but still firm- about 40-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Drain the rice, transfer to a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Mix the remaining ingredients with the rice, drizzle with orange dressing and gently toss to combine.
- Serve over spinach or on its own as a side dish.