Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Before I get into this super yummy recipe I must tell you how much I have missed writing and cooking over the last few months! I took a little hiatus from the blog because I just started a new job. I have been getting settled and used to my new schedule and finally this week I was feeling ready to cook again. I am hoping the summer months will bring me some new inspiration for cooking. I love the summer farmers markets and fresh produce and I am looking forward to getting creative again!
Last weekend I was lounging around the house because the weather was truly awful… rain, sleet and thunder. It was a mixture of everything! Well my favorite little Italian chef, Giada De Laurentiis came on the TV and per usual, I got sucked into her show. She was doing a Dim Sum themed party and was making this recipe for sticky rice and chicken burritos. I thought that it looked so delicious that I would give it a whirl, however when I was ready to start cooking, the thought of making individual Swiss chard burritos seemed daunting. So I simplified the recipe to make it my own and instead of wrapping the chicken and rice in the Swiss Chard leaves, I chopped them up to make it a rice bowl. It turned out fantastic! I also used my favorite ingredient… rotisserie chicken. All in all this recipe was quick to prepare and was packed with flavor. It’s great to be back… Enjoy!
Coconut Sticky Rice and Chicken Bowls (Serves 4)
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain sushi rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded and chopped
- 6-8 Swiss chard leaves, chopped
- For the rice: In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, coconut milk, 1 cup water and the salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the coriander, cumin, salt, black pepper, garlic and shallots and cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic and shallots have softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and sugar and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and Swiss chard and stir to coat with the sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the chard has wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Place a few scoops of coconut rice in a bowl and top with chicken and enjoy!
Reblogged this on mamabatesmotel.