Breakfast is the most important meal of the day (or so I am told!) but I never seem to have time for it! During the week I am always running out the door in a rush, which leaves little time for scrambled eggs and bacon. I am always thinking of easy, on-the-go ideas that I can throw in my bag and eat at my desk or in the car. These no bake energy bites are perfect for those busy mornings. I was inspired by a local coffee shop that has similar bites when I was making these little peanut butter gems! Just two or three is enough to hold me over until I am able to blend up a smoothie or tie me over until lunch. Even better I love stuffing a few in a zip-lock bag and bringing them on the mountain with me when I am skiing or hiking! The best part about them is they taste just like a cookie… but they are healthier!
- 1 cup (dry) old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. (Mine were about 1″ in diameter.) Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- Makes about 20-25 balls.