Summer is not over yet folks! It kind of feels like fall is creeping in, especially this last weekend when we went camping and the temperature dropped into the low 40s. I was not prepared for those kind of temperatures which required me to stay by the fire all night long. What I love most about this time of year is all of the fresh veggies, herbs and produce at the farmers markets, they are bursting at the seams!
I was looking for a delicious gluten free side for the Deer Valley concerts on Wednesday nights and I stumbled across this recipe from Eating Bird Food. It sounded so fresh, healthy and easy I couldn’t help but try it! Next time I make it I would suggest adding Kalamata olives because I feel like they always make Greek salads tasty! Hope you enjoy!
Greek Quinoa Salad (Serves 6-8)
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa or 1 box orzo (cooked to package directions
- 2 cups roughly chopped baby spinach
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 3/4 cup pitted katamala olives, halved
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup toasted almond slices or pine nuts
- Cook quinoa in water, according to package directions. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together quinoa, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, red onion, basil and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, lemon juice, oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over quinoa salad and toss to combine. Top with almond slices.
- Serve immediately or let the salad chill in the fridge a couple hours before serving.