Can you believe its almost May?! May is such a great month because there is so much to celebrate! First off Cinco de Mayo… since my favorite day of the week is Taco Tuesday and I drink margaritas like they’re water, it’s my ultimate holiday! Then comes Mother’s Day and who doesn’t like celebrating mom? Moms are the best!
Finally, we kick off summer (and the right to wear white pants!) with Memorial Day! It’s a pretty action packed month. If you’re looking for an extra special way to show mom how much you care this year, make her a delicious meal! Mother’s Day is a great day to show mom how much you love her with homemade brunch and Bloody Mary’s (in bed?!) Now that sounds like a great morning! I feel like sometimes quiche is thought of as a wimpy ladies luncheon dish but serve this delicious spring dish along side a bacon Bloody Mary and you won’t hear anyone complaining! It is also a fun dish for kids to make because its super easy (the hardest part is sauteing the asparagus and onions)! Plus its a spin off the Dr. Seuss book “Green Eggs and Ham” read the book, make the quiche and you might even get the kids to eat some of it! So whether you’re hosting a bridal shower, brunch, lunch or Mother’s Day extravaganza (really whatever you want!) this quiche will be a hit! Green Eggs & Ham Quiche (click for printer friendly version)
Ingredients: (Serves 8-10)
- 1 9-inch Pillsbury refrigerated pie-crust (from a 15-ounce package)
- 2 12-ounce boxes frozen Stouffer’s spinach souffle (microwave for half the suggested time to thaw but not cook)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups cups (6 ounces) grated mozzarella cheese (you can substitute Pepper Jack for some added spice)
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup diced ham, prosciutto or bacon (if using bacon, cook before adding it) if you are vegetarian you can leave this out
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- fresh ground pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F. Unroll the pie-crust and press it into a 9-inch pie plate.
- In a medium skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 2-3 minutes, add asparagus and saute until just tender and onions are translucent, about 5 minutes more.
- Combine the spinach souffle, eggs, cheese, ham and asparagus mixture in a large bowl. Add a few turns of fresh pepper and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell.
- Bake until set in the center and the crust is golden brown, about 45 minutes.