We have had some unusually warm weather the last few weeks- sunny and 60 degrees. It makes for wonderful hiking and golfing weather but not so great for the mountains trying to make snow. Then, last Saturday morning I woke up to this….I’m like… are you freakin’ kidding me? I don’t have clue where my winter boots and warm jackets are! I was just walking around in shorts and a T-shirt yesterday- now I have to deal with this? Don’t get me wrong, I am pretty excited for ski season and winter to get here but can’t there be some kind of gradual transition? All or nothing seems a little harsh. Anywho! With the cold weather and snow I decided it was time to pull out the soup recipes.
I love me some warm soup on a cold day- for lunch or for dinner its a great way to warm up without having to spend too much time cooking. Throw it all in the pot, et voila- dinner is done! Kale is one of my favorite greens to make salads with in the summer months, its so crisp and full of vitamins. Adding some fresh kale gives the soup a delicious flavor and brings some color into the mix. A little spicy Italian sausage and tender potatoes all topped off with creamy Parmesan cheese- yup, we’ve got a winner!! Oh and did I mention its gluten free? Even better! Serve it up with some crispy bread (not gluten free.. but delicious) and enjoy!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 pound small new potatoes, sliced into thin circles
- 1 bunch of kale, trimmed and chopped (ribs removed)
- 1 8oz container Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 8 cups (64oz) chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or more depending on your spice tolerance)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepot over medium heat and add the oil, onions and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes, then add the sausage to the pot. Brown the sausage and break it apart with a wooden spoon into small pieces until it is cooked through.
- Once the sausage is brown, add the potato slices, chopped kale, mushrooms, chicken stock, wine, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Once the potatoes are tender it’s ready.
- When ready to serve, stir in the cream and Parmesan cheese (if you do this step too early the cream will curdle) Then taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve in bowls garnished with extra Parmesan cheese and fresh bread. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from A Spicy Perspective