Howdy there y’all! I am so sorry for my long absence in posts! Last week I was on vacation (in beautiful Mexico!) and it took me a little while to get back in the swing of things. Sometimes I feel like I need a vacation after my vacation! Be near the ocean again made me realize how much I miss it! I love the sound of the ocean and the salt air! Don’t get me wrong, I love Utah but after growing up near the ocean there is nothing more comforting than hearing the waves on the shore as you fall asleep. While we were down in Mexico we ate delicious fresh fish, stopped at little roadside taco stands and washed it all down with Cervezas, it was literally the perfect vacation! Even once we got home, I was still craving tacos!So I looked to one of my favorite fish taco recipes to easy my “the vacation is over” pains! I love all the fresh flavors of these tacos, the Chipotle slaw has a little spice which is balanced nicely by fresh cool mango and avocado. It’s the perfect taco Tuesday summer dish! The slaw is better when its made a day ahead which also helps cut down on prep time the day of. I usually save a little of the chipotle dressing to drizzle over the top of the tacos to give it an extra kick! So kick back with a cerveza or margarita, pretend you’re on the beach in Mexico and enjoy! Cheers!
Mahi-Mahi Tacos (Serves 4)
- 1lb Mahi-Mahi (I use frozen if the fresh doesn’t actually look fresh)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- corn tortillas
Chipotle Cabbage Slaw (Serves 4-6)
- 1/2 small green cabbage, shredded (4-5 cups)
- 1/4 small red cabbage, shredded (2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 4 large scallions, green and white parts, sliced thin
- 1 jalapeno, diced (for less spice, remove some or all the seeds)
- 1/2 cup Chipotle Vegenaise (you can substitute regular Vegenaise or mayonnaise and add 1 teaspoon chipotle powder)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeeze lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Fish
- Whisk together lime juice, olive oil and cilantro in a small bowl. Combine chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin and whisk into olive oil mixture.
- Place fish and marinade in a shallow baking dish or plastic bag and marinate for at least 20 minutes in the fridge.
- In a medium skillet, drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sear Mahi filets for 5-7 minutes each side, until it is cooked all the way through.
For the Slaw
- Combine cabbages, carrots, scallions and jalapeno in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together Vegenaise, sour cream, lime juice, honey and cumin until smooth.
- Pour half the dressing over the slaw, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine, adding more dressing if it looks too dry. I like to save some sauce for the tacos!
- Place Mahi-Mahi on a corn tortilla, top with cabbage slaw and mango avocado salsa. Serve with rice and beans, top with sour cream, chipotle sauce and/or hot sauce. Enjoy!