All this warm weather has been getting me in the mood to BBQ! Today in Park City it was 50 degrees and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky! It was just gorgeous! Many years ago a friend of mine (Bridgit!) who’d recently became a vegan introduced me to her favorite black bean and quinoa burgers from her vegan cookbook. At the time I was not vegan or even vegetarian, thus I was a bit skeptical, until I tried one!
It instantly became one of my favorite go-to veggie burgers for years to come. Over the years, I have tweaked and added a few things and adapted the recipe to make it my own.
I love making a double batch of these burgers and wrapping them individually so I can freeze them. They make for a quick and easy dinner when you’re not in the mood to cook or are great to bring to a BBQ. See note below about freezing the patties**
I haven’t bought a veggie burger from the grocery store in years because nothing compares! This recipe will turn any meat eating burger lover, into a vegan spicy black bean sweet potato burger lover, after just one bite! Cheers, I hope you enjoy!
Spicy Black Bean Sweet Potato Quinoa Veggie Burgers (click for printer friendly version) (Serves 6)
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup roasted, diced sweet potato* see below
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup Italian style bread crubs
- 1 tablespoon cholula
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil for cooking
- 6 burger buns
- optional avocado, tomato, arugula, cheese
- Peel a small to medium sweet potato and cut it into small cubes. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and roast on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until tender and golden brown. Set aside and let it cool.
- Mash black beans and sweet potato together with a fork until somewhat smooth but still chunky. Add quinoa, onions, garlic, cilantro and bread crumbs and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk together water, tomato paste, cholula, cumin, chili powder salt and pepper. Pour over black bean/sweet potato mash and mix with a fork.
- Using you hands, make 6 patties. If the mixture seems to wet add a tablespoon more of bread crumbs or if its too dry add a tablespoon more water before making the patties. The mixture should be sticky enough to easily form patties with out crumbling. **If freezing some patties wrap them individually in saran wrap and freeze. when ready to eat, thaw and follow steps 5 and 6!**
- In a medium skillet, heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook the burgers for 5 minutes on each side on medium heat, until golden brown on each side.
- Serve on a toasted bun with desired toppings such as cheese, avocado, tomato and fresh arugula.
For more recipes and deliciousness follow me on Twitter and ‘like’ me on Facebook!